Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Art Isn't Original?

Photo 188-189: What to say. Well, I heard something quite "interesting" yesterday. I was having a conversation with a painter - and I honestly use that term loosely - and he told me that art is always planned, and that no medium is left to chance, and no art is original. He also thought that photography was nothing but using photochop, and a person behind the camera is not an artist since they aren't creating anything new. As I resisted the urge to slap him into next week, I "demurely" disagreed, and yes, almost called him an idiot, but my tact/manners prevailed. I informed him that no matter what inspires you and how you choose to express yourself, it's in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you see what's already there and interpret it in a different way, sometimes you imagine something and then try to capture it on canvas or in a print. I think true creativity comes from being open to your surroundings and then letting yourself be inspired - even by the smallest, most insignificant things. If your heart starts racing, your mind starts flowing and you're using your artistic eye, you're creating something unique, that's only yours. And "paint the numbers" is not art, unless you go outsides the lines. ;) That should have been one of my answers for Mr. Louvre. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment