Monday, June 21, 2010

My 365 Project is ... COMPLETED!

Photo 365: Today is a special day - the last post for my project... picture #365. I did it - I actually took and posted 365 pictures in one year to the day. A year ago I read about this 365 idea, and thought, hey why not try to take a picture for one day for the entire year? It was exciting, a new challenge, but I never thought how the project would take over and change me as a photographer, an artist and even as a person.

I did a little off roading in Alaska to get that perfect shot of a mist-covered bridge, rode a camel to capture the Pyramids, climbed security fences to shoot graffiti, and learned how to use a tripod and shoot amazing firewors. I saw colors, shapes, people and places through a lens, and everything around me changed with that. You see images and ideas where you never think to look, and learn so much more about your surroundings and the magic that is a city, a field, a beach and even an empty baseball stadium. Speaking of baseball, I was hit by one (twice), braved a snowstorm to find snowmen, and apparently stalked dogs throughout the city - all in the name of photography. I got lost in Lake Tahoe, looking at the water and beautiful scenery as a thunderstorm was rolling in. I walked around an old castle with perfectly groomed gardens and saw my city - NYC - from every angle that you can think of. I look back now and remember chasing down watertowers all over the city, riding a ski lift up and down to get the mountains just right, and learning about the rule of two thirds. I remember shooting my 100th picture, and how amazed I was that I got this far already, and then scared at the same time, because I still had 265 pictures to go, and it seemed so far away. Most important, I am thankful that I had this awe-inspiring, breathtaking, exhausting and fulfilling experience. There were times when I just didn't want to pick up Pedro anymore, because I was pictured-out, and I didn't want to go out and look for another image, but I dragged my sorry butt off the couch, and went outside anyway. Why? Because this project important to me, I had something to prove, and I'm a competitor, and didn't want to fail . I persevered, with some not-so stellar images (i.e. those long, dreary days in January), some great shots that I'm very proud of, and Pedro a little more used and abused but still my steady sidekick. My project is done, and I'm sad, but feel very accomplished. I did it!

Here's a last image (for this project) that I absolutely adore. I hope you like it! And always remember, no matter what the goal is - big or small - embrace the challenges and obstacles, because if you put your mind and heart into it, anything is possible.


P.S. Stay tuned for my new "100 Moments in Photography" project. Project365 inspired me so much (along with the book, Half the Sky), that I decided to do a fundraiser... for what and why you'll have to just wait and see. I'll keep you posted and will sharedetails in the coming days, but needless to say, I'm very excited about this new step for a good cause.

- FIN -

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your project! Some really great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Just started my 365 diary - didn't realise how tough it would be, but you've got some amazing shots and I guess some amazing stories to go with them!

    ReplyDelete