Sunday, December 20, 2009

First Snowfall of 2009

Photo 163-168: After digging my car out of about one foot of snow, and accelerating around a few sharp corners and consequent "wohooo" slides, I went Christmas shopping this morning. It was very quiet and beautiful outside, because New Yorkers, even after monstrous snowfalls in years past, still seem to think that a foot of snow is a lot. By the time I dug out my car (approx. 10:30 a.m.) the roads were starting to be cleared. I loved it! My little Jetta is a trooper in the snow, and LOVES, and I repeat, LOVES slippin' and slidin' around the streets - all of course with due safety considered.

After not buying one present, because all the stores I went to were closed due to "the storm of the century," I went home to grab Pedro, and proceeded to see what frostbite was like. I hate taking pictures with Pedro while I'm wearing gloves, so needless to say, the 25 degrees plus the icy wind that decided to start up just as I was leaving the building almost helped me with said frostbite. I was going to drive to the park, take great pictures, but it was so cold, I ran around my neighborhood trying to capture some great moments like little kids building snowmen, having snowball fights, building forts... I found ONE snowman, and even he looked miserable in the cold weather. I guess I could have dragged my sorry butt to Central Park, but driving an hour into the city (probably longer with the road/traffic conditions) wasn't an appealing thought.

But here are some images from around the neighborhood from our first official winter snow day. The sun came out a little bit, and I even caught a little boy doing his dad's job... shoveling the sidewalk. lol Hope everyone stayed home with lots of hot chocolate, movies and everyone is getting ready for the holidays. I can't wait for it to be Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I'm very jealous at the moment. The closest thing we've had to snow is cottonweed floating thorugh the air from time to time. I. Miss. Snow.

    ReplyDelete